Well, I've been slacking on getting the next blog post out on the steps I used to build my DVR. I will hopefully get time to post the next steps soon, but for now I just wanted to post an updated on my hardware setup. Like I had posted earlier, I been wanting to increase the memory in the computer. It started out with 512MB which was working fine, but I am sure the system would suffer if I was recording two shows and watching a recording. I went ahead and added 1GB more of memory, giving me a total of 1.5GB. I didn't do any specific benchmark testing, but the picture did seem to look a little better. I really wanted this memory boost for when I add an HD tuner card to the system, which I hope to do in the next couple months.
The other thing I added was another fan to the system. I have been experience system lockups about every 2 to 3 weeks and I think it is because the system is overheating. The box lives on the bottom shelf of a wood entertainment stand so I have a feeling the heat is building up in the enclosed space. I hope this extra fan with resolve the issue.
That's about it for now. For those of you keeping track of the total investment so far that I have put into the system, the fan was $2.99 and the memory was $89.99. I got both from Newegg.com and including shipping they came to $99.27. Hopefully I'll have time to get the next few DVR steps up soon.
The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent
my employer's view in any way.